pH meters play an important role in maintaining water quality, whether it be in aquaculture, hydroponics or simply for drinking purposes.
pH refers to how acidic or basic water is, with levels ranging from 0-14 where 7 is neutral. Water that measures above 7 indicated that the water is more alkaline.
Water that measures below 7 will indicate that it is in fact acidic.
Why is a pH so important?
By taking a look at how pH levels affect aquatic life, we are able to gain some understanding of the overall importance of a healthy pH level of water.
Low pH levels
Low pH levels can cause terrible damage to aquatic life. Acidic water can cause calcium levels to decrease which results in the inhibition of shell development.
When the water is acidic, fish are more prone to developing fungal infections and other types of physical damage.
When water reaches a pH level of 5, fish are unable to live in that environment and some species will leave the area as their reproductive patterns are negatively affected.
Once the levels reach below a reading of 4, fish begin to die.
With low pH levels in water, the concentration of heavy metals in the water increases rendering them even more toxic than before.
High pH levels
pH levels that are too high can cause terrible damage to the gills, eyes and skin of aquatic life. High pH levels will also prevent certain fish from being able to get rid of their metabolic waste.
Once pH levels reach above 10, fish will begin to die.
However, Koi fish thrive in water that has a pH level of 7.5 and can sometimes cope in water that has a reading of 8.2.
Portable pH meters
Whether you are working with aquaculture, aquaponics, aquariums, pools or just want to drink water that is not acidic, using portable pH meters will make the world of difference in your life.
With the ability to consistently measure the pH levels of your water you are able to maintain you’re the perfect pH for your environment.
M1300K Portable pH/mV Meter
- - Range: 0.00 ~ 14.00pH (Subject to compatibility of electrode materials)
- - ORP range +/-1200mV (with optional probe)
- - Automatic temperature compensation 0 ~ 60°C
- - IP67 Waterproof
- - c/w carry case, M9201 standard pH electrode, 3 x 30ml mini buffer solutions, manual & batteries
- - Calibration up to five points (pH 1.68, 4.00, 7.00, 10.00 and 12.45)
- - Fully automatic calibration and auto buffer recognition
PH5 Pocket pH/mV Meter
- - Range: -2.00 ~ 16.00pH (Subject to compatibility of electrode materials)
- - ORP range +/-1000mV (with optional probe)
- - Automatic temperature compensation 0 ~ 50°C
- - IP67 Waterproof
- - c/w carry case, PH5-E1 standard pH electrode, 2 x 30ml mini buffer solutions, manual & batteries
Allen Associates Portable pH Meters Port Elizabeth
Allen Associates stock a wide variety of test and measurement equipment. Contact us for more information about portable pH meters which can make your work easier.